An Inspector General (IG) of Police is a very senior police officer and comes from Indian Police Service taken by UPSC. The ranks above this are Additional Director General (Addl.DG) and Director General (DG) of police at the state level. The level for IG of police is equivalent to Joint Secretary at the center.
The salary level for IG police is 37,400-67,000 plus grade pay of 10,000.
Most of the posting for IG Police are in state capital as most of the time they are heading one of the departments from the capital. There also are posted at Zonal heads having 5-6 districts under there jurisdiction.
Function of IG of Police :
- Day-to-day duties, particularly in the areas of maintenance of maintaining peace and order, crime prevention, investigation, and detection, collection of intelligence, VIP security, border policing, railway policing, smuggling, drug trafficking, economic offences, corruption in public life, disaster management, enforcement of socio-economic legislation, bio-diversity and protection of environmental laws etc.
- Leading the civil and armed police forces in all the states and union territories.
- Leading and commanding the Central Police Organizations like Intelligence Bureau, Central Bureau of Investigation, Border Security Force, Central Reserve Police Force, Indo-Tibetan Border Police, National Security Guard, Vigilance Organizations etc.
- Serve at managerial/policy making levels in the Ministries and Departments of Central and State governments and public sector undertakings both at center and states, and the RAW, Government of India.
- Lead/command the force with courage, uprightness, dedication and a strong sense of service to the people.
- Endeavour to inculcate in the police forces under their command such values and norms as would help them serve the people better.
- Inculcate integrity of the highest order, sensitivity to aspirations of people in a fast-changing social and economic milieu, respect for human rights, broad liberal perspective of law and justice, high standard of professionalism, physical fitness and mental alertness.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Pune Police Constable Recruitment 2014 - May 5, 2014
- CRPF Constable Bharti 2013 for 813 post Trade & Technical Posts - October 23, 2013
- Chandigarh Police Recruitment 2013 for 94 Constable Vacancies – SC - October 1, 2013